Monday, March 4, 2019

Devil's Creek

Devil's Creek (Brooksville, Florida) is in the books.

The only rally in the State of Florida that dares take on the swamps in west central, Devil's Creek is the premier dual sport rally in the State. It marks the fourth rally that my new 2019 KLX250 has participated in and was put to the test.

Being my home track, I lead groups on three days of dirt, mud and sand. While some other super fast groups passed us from time to time, the two fiddy held its own with the bigger bore thumpers in my groups.

Following are a few photos from the event. Enjoy!

I have an older (1995) enclosed utility trailer that my son bartered into for some plumbing work many years ago and use for a toy hauler/camper. Inside I have cot and table with a hot plate to whip up coffee in the morning. Not so much necessary as they feed you pretty good at Devils Creek.

The campground was really jammed up like sardines this year and right next to my utility trailer a guy set up a really interesting hammock. Hammocks seem to be coming on the last couple years and I've been seriously looking into them lately.



Tech inspection:

This is an AMA Event and is permitted with the Florida Department of Forestry. All bikes are inspected for sound levels, tires, lights and things like that. You have to pass a tech inspection "before" you can register.


Riders meeting:

The event is limited to 170 participants, a very small portion ride the adventure category. However, that's usually due to skill level. This event doesn't attract those big adventure bikes because of the level of sand.


My friends from Ft. Lauderdale, Howard looking the wrong way.


My buddy Howard Alexander (K-Toom 350). This dude is into it.



My newest friend, Brian (DRZ400) from Plant City. Brian rode with me on Friday and Saturday. We're gonna be hitting some of the area trails this summer.


Time to roll but everyone is like where the hell's my bike.


Oh, back to Friday was actually on your own so Brian and I visited the Croom and Citrus WMAs. We only made it halfway up Citrus and ran into a controlled burn...i.e. forest fire. We backtracked out and then rode a bunch of gravel/dirt roads near the campground before we headed back to camp. 137 miles clocked; not bad for a Devil's Creek Primer.





Lol! First obstacle on Saturday morning; there always something early in Devils Creek to get your blood flowing. Last year it was the eight inch sand trail on the Graveyard Trail. This year they decided we needed to get wet.

Yes, that is a blow up doll floating in the water. If you're over there apparently you're in really big trouble. 😐



Brian, like a champ!


A new friend and ride partner, James (DRZ400). So Saturday morning I met James (camped next to me) and he'd loaded up the adventure track and roll chart. We talked him into joining us in the swamp and the dude kicked it! Mud, sand, water...he did awesome!


So as we rolled into this water crossing, guys were totally chickening out and turning around. I don't know what they heck they thought they were going to encounter. No one made light of the terrain in there. I pushed my group quickly to the front, passing those that were sitting there procrastinating, 'cuz I new that water crossing was going to be a lot different by the time another 25 bikes went through.



Another new friend, Jason (Husky 350) from Tampa.





Lots of people dumping the water out of their boots at lunch! I was high and dry until the very last water crossing on Saturday...the last one!!! It wasn't event that bad, but it filled my boots. Dang.


Saturday night dinner is an event. Vintage bikes, games, prices, raffles, vendors, lots o' drunk dual sporters! 😊

Not me, of course.




Orange koolaid served over in the corner.



Dr. Ray...drowned it. 😩


Brian and I at the Withlacoochee River.


More from the swamp.




I rode Devil's Creek on a 2016 Kamo KLR650 in March 2016. Then I rode my DR650 in 2017 and 2018; much better. My son ✝ rode the KLR650 in 2017 and 2018. In 2018 he rode it 2-up with his girl friend. Lol!





Someone else went for a swim. 😩




Video Alert!

I was running a GoPro for the first time and won't bore you with a ton o' film, but this one particular clip is only 3:38 minutes long. We were waiting for one of my riding buds in the longest, deep sand track on Sunday and a lady comes flying by hootin' and holerin' and proceeds to dump it. She was okay. I had lunch with her later that day. It was funny........



     *     *     *     *     *     

Oh man, sad it's over. I almost skipped Devil's Creek this year. It's really the most technical track that you can have here in Florida; we have no mountains and not much in the way of rocks to deal with. Tree stumps galore, though.

At once a year, I'd just forgotten that invigorating feeling coming out of the Devil's Creek weekend.

Until next year for #24.


p.s. I had three falls. One on Friday, which was a spectacular endo and two on Saturday, which were a couple low sides. No carnage to report except the left mirror extender on Friday. Jason has the second fall on video. I'll get it and post it later.

p.s.s. Thanks to other riders for use of some their photos in my blog post.


2 comments:

  1. Great write up Bill! i had an absolute blast riding with you! looking forward to a lot more!

    ReplyDelete