Tuesday, June 4, 2019

KLR600 Rear Shock

I found very little information out there on the Interweb about the KLR600 suspension situation both front and rear. Things like measurements and spring rates would be helpful. However, the most important thing I did find was an outfit nearby that would do the rear shock rebuild for me.


So here is the stock rear shock absorber off of my 1985 Kawasaki KLR600. It is a KYB, nitrogen filled and oil dampened shock absorber with a (subsequently measured) spring rate of about 5.0 KG/MM (determined by rebuild vendor). The only specific markings are 40-05, presumably for the dampener diameter and spring rate. Otherwise:
  • End to end, the total shock as pulled off the bike is 48.25 cm (19 inches)
  • Eye to eye is 44.45 cm (17 1/2 inches)
  • The dampener body diameter is 40 mm (1 1/2 inches)
  • Sag was set at 70 mm
In addition to preload adjustment, the shock also provides a dampener adjustment with a four point clicker (higher is stronger dampening; 2 is the stock setting).

Back on the spring rates, I found it interesting that the first year 1987 KLR650 was equipped with a KYB Shock having a 5.0 KG/MM spring rate. While this "total" model is different (can't even buy the spring) the springs actually could be the same and, therefore, same spring rate. The shop that I took it to tested the spring rate at 5.0.

The spring rate calculator in RaceTech Springs puts my optimal spring rate at 7.72 KG/MM and the closest rates to that  calculation were the 7.6 and the 8.1. I went with the 7.6, P/N SRSP 552476.

Shock Removal

Removal of the shock abosorber was fairly simple. Essentially, the approach to removal was to separate the upper subframe allowing it to fall back on the rear tire and opening up a gap to disconnect the shock and pull it up and out.



Removal of the lower pin required that I drop half the dog bone to expose the pin. Then it just slid right out.


Good time to get a peek at the bearings in there and maybe replace (certainly grease) them.

Viola! Twenty minutes....



Off to the Shop

I was thinking about rebuilding this shock, but it's one of the things that really isn't in my wheelhouse and I've got so many other things going on right now with some property I'm developing. So I set out to find a shop that would do the rebuild for me. Well...that wasn't so easy.

Ultimately, the shop I found that was willing to rebuild a 35 year old shock absorber was Six12 Suspensions in Dade City Florida. I'll be dropping it off tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

June 14, 2019

I got the Rebuilt Shock back today. The closest spring rate to what I was looking for was RaceTech's 7.6 kg/mm spring rate, which is what got installed during the rebuild. Installation was uneventful; however, I noted that the manual required replacement of the cir-clips on the joint sleeves so I'll be purchasing and replacing those in the near future before I do any technical stuff....


.....which ain't going to be for awhile as I'm currently laid up for an accident earlier in the month. Bummer, missed The Hooch.

No comments:

Post a Comment