Friday, April 16, 2021

Big "No" for AR-PRO

I always have a stock of one-two tubes for tire sizes as backups or trail tubes. My most recent tubes for my 21 inch dual sport front wheels was a set of 2.75/3.00-21 AR-Pro Brand Tubes that I purchased on Amazon for $19.99 in February 2020. 

Yeah, that's pretty low, but the reviews were stellar!


...and both went Pop! in one day.

The first of my 2 AR-Pros was spooned on my Super Sherpa on January 23, 2021 and carried me for exactly 639 miles. That included the Trans-Florida Rally, the Wild Bear Rally (this past weekend) and a few trips up to Crooms OHV Area.

The tube burst at the inner seam a few (unused) days following the Wild Bear. I'm glad it held out as the Wild Bear was an awesome event.

The second AR-Pro tube was spooned in, no problems, inflated well, but when I hyper inflated the tube to seat the bead it went Pop! Same situation, it came apart at the seam.

My bad, for all the years I've ridden, I shouldn't have to learn this lesson. 

In off road riding, tubes are taking a beating. Not just terrain, but the low air pressure condition that's necessary for a lot of our surfaces sets up the tubes for movement, wear and, ultimately, failure. Cheapo tubes are not the right response, even if for backup. There's no backup, that's your next tube!

Going forward, tubes will undoubtedly burst, but I'll be keeping well-named, quality suppliers' tubes on hand for when it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment