Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Smokey Mountain 500

The first organized ride for the 1985 Kawasaki KLR600 is upon us. We'll be riding the Smoky Mountain 500 starting this weekend.

The SM500 starts Sunday morning in the North Georgia Mountains at Two Wheels of Suches and then tracks 160 miles to Telico Plains, Tennessee where we'll stay at the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campgrounds. On Monday, we'll get up and roll 136 miles through many of the back roads and trails along the Cherohala Skyway over to Robbinsville, North Carolina where we'll spend the evening at the Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge. On Tuesday, we'll finish off the SM500 with a 165 mile ride back to Suches.


The Trip North...

My trip up to Suches will be about 550 miles. As I sit here on Tuesday, I have still not decided whether I will ride the KLR to Suches or trailer it...and if I trailer it, use my toy hauler or my flatbed.

  • Riding would take two days, starting Friday, and avoid Interstates. On day one, I'd ride to Waycross, Georgia (250 miles and stay in a hotel. From Waycross, I would ride to Gainsville, Georgia (262 miles, 36 miles south of Suches) and also stay in a hotel. Staying in hotels prevents me from lugging camping gear that far on the motorcycle. Staying in the hotel short of Suches, rather than riding the remaining short distance, is because they require two-night reservations on weekends for their cabins.
  • Trailering would take one day on mostly Interstates; eight hours straight through to Two Wheels. The ride north would be on a weekend so traffic would [hopefully] be better. If I trailer I have several options to camp at Two Wheels...since I can't have a single night cabin. I can set up my toy hauler, take tent and camping gear, or just sleep the one night in the back of my truck. Trailering would require me to have a place to put my truck/trailer over the three day ride. Fortunately, Two Wheels has confirmed that I can park it there since, as you'll see below, I've reserved a room for when we get back.

Decisions, decisions...I've got a few days. Stay tuned and I'll update.

Accommodations...

Same as my trip north, I really don't want to lug camping gear. I know some folks pack their adventure bikes up with everything including the kitchen since, but that gear along with my trail supplies, clothing, etc. would take away from the ride for me. Our stop overs all have rooms or cabins to rent, so that's the plan.

I have a cabin reserved at Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground on Sunday night and a semi-private room reserved at Iron Horse on Monday night. I also have a cabin reserved at Two Wheels of Suches when we get back on Tuesday. Being a weekday, I could book a single night at Two Wheels.

This is the way to go for me.

The Ride....

There are eight signed up in our group; I think only one has done the SM500. I've never ridden the SM500 and am really looking forward to it. More on the ride when I ultimately get to the ride report!

Stay tuned...

Let's roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment