Tuesday, December 3, 2019

1985 KL600 Fuel Tank Mount

This is not the biggest and most important mod that you'll make to your vintage KLR600, but it is an improvement over the stock step up imo and it didn't cost me anything or even much time.

Essentially this mod improves mounting of the fuel tank.

Currently, the fuel tank has three mounting points. It fits forward onto two rubber donuts in the frame backbone like many other models, which I think is a good design. However, the rear of tank is connected to the frame via a cotter pin on a post that is mounted on the frame. There's built in play to accommodate the pin which means the tank is moving... not much, but it is.


I had the tank off to do some repairs on my carburetor and, before I put it back on, I put a M8 tap down the frame post. It's hollow and accepted the M8 tap without any drilling.


From there, I pulled an appropriate size rubber grommet out of my stock and bolted it down with an M8 cap bolt.


No comments:

Post a Comment