Thursday, December 5, 2019

2020 Equipment Review

The 2020 Rally Season (for me) kicks off January 9, 2020 in Keystone Heights, Florida with the Polar Bear Rally. Generally, when I refer to "Rally" I mean any organized event, even though most aren't true Dual Sport or Adventure Rallies. "Rally" is just a good word that makes it easier to capture the vast majority of my saddle time.


In the absence of a really good reason, I only ride rallies with a majority (>50%) of off-road or dirt-road (e.g. forest roads) track. A good reason would be a Charity Event like The Gobbler this past November that was considerably under 50% dirt but had a charitable cause...in this case mental health.

I have two motorcycles returning for the 2020 Season:

2019 Kawasaki KLX 250 S

My KLX is for Dual Sport Rallies with high off-road and/or single track percentages to total miles (generally >75%).

I purchased the KLX, new off the show room floor, on December 5, 2018 and put it right to work two days later in the Wild Bear Safari out of New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Being a 250, I really didn't expect too much from the 250 powertrain; rather, I was hoping for light and nimble forest and single track bike. With the addition of a set of Michelin AC10s (10/90 Dual Sport Tires) the KLX really did a great job. I led many groups with the KLX during 2019 and am looking forward to the 2020 season.

The only upgrade on the KLX for the 2020 season was a new, higher rate spring for the rear shocks. I'll probably be needing to replace the rear AC10 by around April.

1985 Kawasaki KL600-B1 (KLR600)

My vintage KLR fills in on Dual Sport Rallies with off-road percentages over 50% up to where I think the KLX would be better suited.

I purchased the vintage KLR in April 2019 with about 24,000 miles. It took me until August to get the KLR in "reliable" condition, then during the rest of 2019, I got most of the bugs out.

In August, the KLR got it's first taste of action on the three-day Smokey Mountain 500 in North Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. Unfortunately, a snapped clutch cable cost me one of those days so I'll be heading back for another attempt at the SM500 this coming Summer. The other major ride for the KLR was the two day 2019.2 Trans-Florida Rally (this was actually a true rally).

Having got all the mechanical bugs taken care of the only need I have for the KLR in 2020 is some new tires. I ran 50/50 dual sport tires in 2019 and have decided to take it up a notch into something a little more aggressive. TBD.


As for the Polar Bear in January, I'll need the light weight KLX250 to deal with the deep sugar sand in Ocala National Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment