Thursday, January 10, 2019

Polar Bear Adventure

I've now completed two dual sport rallies in two months of ownership of my 2019 KLX250. We completed the Wild Bear in December and the Polar Bear last weekend. No, didn't see a bear on either rally.


The Rally was headquartered in Gold Head Branch State Park in Keystone Heights (east of Gainsville).


The Park was quite large, but convenient to get around for the festivities. I rolled in Thursday to get three solid days of riding in and camped in my little toy hauler. Yes, the site I picked had electric. It was cold, but not unbearable. I have both a space heater and an electric blanket.



CADS is Classic Adventure and Dual Sport. It is an Adventure Rider Group. The event was free, except for a $15 spaghetti dinner Saturday night. Sponsors included Klim.


Above is the riders meeting being supervised by a big blow up polar bear.


Looks more like the classic abominable snowman.

Participation seemed to be in the 150 or so range. A third seemed to be in the adventure category and the rest were the traditional smaller 250-650 dual sports.


My friend Howard and his K-Toom.


Check out my blog post on the CRF250L-Rally! I actually looked at this model bike when shopping for my KLX; not long, but I looked.



The Rally provided for group led A, B, C, and D rides...plus an Adventure Track. However, my friends and I got the GPS Tracks and went out on our own. Based on what I saw, we were probably in their B level definition as a group. Three 350 Betas, a DRZ400, my friend's K-Toom and my KLX2Fiddy.


There were many tracks in the Keystone Heights Area and, then on Saturday, the tracks pushed us about 60 miles south into the norther Sectors of Ocala National Forest.




Kool bridge, but stay on the slats. Those cross ways rr ties were moldy and slippery as snot!






Last but not least is the group photo of my good friends from So Florida with the Polar Bear.


Well, okay, maybe the last is the toilet seat table at Friday's Chili Cook Off lunch.


Next stop, Devil's Creek, first week in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment