Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Tire Pressure Monitor

I've had a brand new Tire Pressure Monitoring System laying around for about a year now. I originally purchased it from Amazon for around $50. I was going to have my son put it on the KLR650, but he didn't seem too interested; no problem. Pulled it out of the pile and blew off the dust to see what I might do with it.

This particular system is the CAREUD Motorcycle Tire Monitoring System. This is what comes in the box.


Essentially, this TPMS System is wireless, waterproof and provides a constant display of PSI (or bar) and wheel temp (Fahrenheit or Celsius). It provides both a visual (flashing red background) and audible alert if the tire pressure falls below a level that the user programs into the device. 

Here's a straight on look at the screen.


The system has an internal rechargeable battery in the base and comes with a USB cable for charging. The two tire sensors each have a replaceable button battery (3V CR1225). 

The kit comes with a bar mount solution as shown in the photos that fits 7/8" and fat bars. The mount has it's own dedicated turn screw and I thought it clamped down on the stock 7/8" bar of my KLX250 pretty tightly using the rubber insert provided.


Although the TPMS came with fairly decent instructions, it was kind of annoying to set up. It seemed to me that the two buttons needed for set up didn't respond well. In one case they'd be slow to respond; in other cases they'd jump over the program I was trying to log in. Also, I had a tough time trying to get one of the tire sensors tuned in until I figured out that the button battery in the front sensor was dead. Figuring dead battery was the problem, I replaced both buttons and continued to complete the set up successfully.


Oh, and just for the record, the instructions provided decently for the sensor battery replacement.

Onward...

The sensors are installed on the valve stem just like a valve cap. The disc shaped item that you see in the box contents are actually two (back-to-back) tools. One side provides a wrench for turning the sensor onto the valve stem. The other side provides a wrench for removing the back of the sensor for purposes of replacing the sensor battery. For the record, the wrench for screwing the sensor on the stem does not fit between the spokes. It's probably a carry over from their automotive line. Hand tight seemed to work find.

The kit also comes with two nuts that are tightened up against the back of the sensor along with a small opened end wrench to tighten it. The instructions call it a theft proof device. However, I think it's more of a securing feature so the sensor doesn't come loose. Seriously, no mater how tight it is, anyone could screw the sensor off the valve so I'm not seeing the anti-theft angle.


Operation...

The tires on the KLX250 are tube-type 10/90 DOT knobbies front and rear. The front is 80/100-21 and the rear is 110/100-18.

The reading of 12 PSI front and rear (as shown above) was spot on with a trusted pressure gauge. That was the pressure that I was running at the Polar Bear Rally earlier in the month. So the device's monitor works. As to the alarm function, while it's easy just to unscrew the sensor and let the alarms trigger, which they do, I went ahead and let the air out below my 8 pound setting and the alarm was triggered upon reinstalling the sensor, so that part of the device works too.

Overall, I think it's a decent tool to monitor tire pressure.

Let's face it, although we're really supposed to be checking our tire pressure before rolling off, except as I've discussed below, I don't think most people do very often. Of all the crap we buy for our motorcycles, this is a good safety feature. I wish I had it on my sport touring and adventure touring bikes. These products were around; I really just never thought to get one.

See Update at the bottom for performance on the rally track.

Is there a place for a TPMS in Dual Sporting?

So, I guess the question is whether this is something that would be a useful addition to a dual sport bike. I'm not necessarily convinced that it is.

The main reason is that dual sport and motocross riders are intensely focused on their tire pressures. Dual sport riders, in particular, face multiple surfaces that would generally call for different pressures...low pressures for soft sand and dirt, higher pressures for the pavement and hardpan. Dual sport riders either air-up and air-down as they encounter different surfaces or find a intermediate pressure that will work for all surfaces on the day's ride...with full knowledge that the tire's going to have a lower that optimal pressure on the pavement and higher than optimal pressure in the dirt. The only real important thing that the monitor is going to provide to dual sporters and motocrossers is alert to a leak, or flat....and, really, nothing wrong with that! LOL!

As to road bikes (including dual sports used for commute and road riding), I definitely think the TPMS is worth the investment. My experience is that road warriors don't pay enough attention to some of the important maintenance items, such as tire pressure. During my stint selling powersports there was more than one occasion that a biker would bring a bike in complaining about handling...a symptom corrected by our service department by adjusting the air pressure. That'll be $120 sir!

Seriously though, I'm not exactly clean on this. I have a lot of road, touring and adventure miles and would have found this TPMS very useful to check tire pressures with the quick look at the display rather than pulling out the pressure gauge.

Having said all this, I could be wrong about dual sports and TPMS. So I'm going to leave my CAREUD TPMS on my KLX250 (a strictly dual sport bike) for a couple months and see if I develop some other thoughts. Next stop, South Florida and the new ADVShit Rally in Immokalee in early February.

Stay tuned...

Update

Sorry, nope.

The TPMS is really just an extraneous piece of equipment working the different terrains on a dual sport track. When I get my next road bike, it'll have a new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment