Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Perry Mountain

April has been quite a month. Earlier this month, I hauled the KLX250 to Hohlenwald, Tennessee and return for the Spring Discovery Rally of Tennessee Dual Sport. That was a seven day effort with four days, 1,500 miles, of travel and three days of riding. Two weeks later, I was back on the road again heading to Stanton, Alabama for the Perry Mountain Tower. That was a four day effort with two days, 1,050 miles, of travel and two days of riding. I'm turning 60 this coming weekend and, quite frankly, after all that, I'm feeling it.


The Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club provided free primitive camping, but they had a real nice bathhouse there and it even included a shower stall. Overall, it was a decent place.


As with most rallies, the Tower Run started with a riders meeting. There were a total number of 150 riders between the dual sport routes and the adventure routes. My impression was the riders were skewed to the dual sport.




Below is a video of our first 15 minutes on the dual sport track. I found it very difficult and actually did the entire adventure route during the afternoon. That gave me a chance to sort of collect myself to go back and finish the dual sport track on Sunday.


Personally, I'd like some more time out there on those tracks. It was clear that the regulars and members really knew where to cut the corners and make their way around, while I was trying to fit my bars between trees. Unfortunately in a rally scenario they cut you loose up to a certain time and then you need to be well out in front of the sweep crew or else you get swept off the track. I look forward to doing a better job out there on the Tower Run next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment