Saturday, January 23, 2021

2002 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

I took delivery of my 2021 Dual Sport Rally Equipment. It's a 2002 Kawasaki Super Sherpa (KL250G6) and it's not the first Super Sherpa I've owned. 


The Super Sherpa is fairly hard to find (both usable and parts bikes). In fact, it can be considered a "cult-bike" to some. It was manufactured and sold in the United States for six years from 1999 to 2003 and then one more year, 2009. During many of those years, it was sold side-by-side with the more commonly known and available Kawasaki KLR250. An interesting history, indeed.

After the disaster we'll call the 2020 rally season and my focus more on moto-touring (again), I was a little late replacing equipment and missed a great rally in January. No, I wasn't waiting on a Super Sherpa to show up. In fact, I'd pretty much decided to purchase one of the new Honda CRF300L models; until I found that they weren't to even be delivered until May, which given my powersports retail experience, probably means more like August. However, I found this bike early one morning freshly posted on Facebook Marketplace.

As mentioned, I previously had a Super Sherpa, a 2009 model that I purchased off the showroom floor. I used it for minimalist adventure touring and my son used it for commuting to/from high school after he got his endorsement. Together we had some nice rides. 

2009 Super Sherpa; South Florida Adventure

Bottom line, I know the Sherpa well. I know it's strengths, I know it's weaknesses.

The 2002 model that I purchased is a 5,572 mile Pennsylvania bike and it's bone stock, except for the rear tire (D606). It starts and runs amazingly well. I paid $2,800. 

I now have a month to put the motorcycle into rally condition; shouldn't be too hard.

Watch for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment