Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Yamaha Tracer 900 Suspension

Suspension evaluation is an important aspect of motorcycle ownership. The manufacturers don't offer a one-size, fit's-all option and, of course, we all ain't one size. However, the manufactures may have engineered tuning-options into their models and, to the extent those can be zeroed in, should. Beyond that, modifications may be in order.

Generally, when it comes to suspension evaluation on my new, off-the-floor motorcycles, I give the suspension around 5,000 miles to settle-in ... a number that I just tipped last week on my new 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 that I purchased in July 2020.


To cut to the chase, the Tracer 900 suspension, with some fine-tuning, reasonably does what I need it to do. That means that the fine-tuning adjustments are sufficient and no 'spensive suspension parts are needed. That doesn't mean your outcome will be the same.

The table below is a screenshot from my records of the spec pre-load adjustments and where they stand, front and rear.


The rear pre-load is adjustable. At 5,000 miles the rear sag measurement (23% of travel) was inline with what I expect in a basic street bike. No adjustment needed. 

The front pre-load is also adjustable and was targeted much earlier (at 2,000 miles) as needing adjustment. Early on, I was experiencing the same sloppy front handling, principally diving in corners and turns at speed, as many Tracer owners have reported. What I found was that the factory pre-load is way too low at 20% of the allowable service range. Adjusting the pre-load to 50% of the service range improved the front end handling.

The other fine-tuning adjustments are limited to rebound dampening, front and rear. No compression dampening is offered on the base model. The dampening adjustments are the finer of the fine tuning adjustments. The factory settings are being used.


Overall, I'm finding that the Tracer 900 suspension, as adjusted, is reasonable and suitable for my use of the motorcycle. That hasn't always been the case with my motorcycle purchases, for sure. However, while everyone's experience is bound to differ, the take away is perhaps to hold off on running to the expensive aftermarket suspensions shops until an evaluation of the factory offering has been completed using the manufacturer's guidance and good motorcycle wrenching judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment